15 November 2013
Prefectural Labor Standards Bureau, as stated in a separate sheet
Labour Standards Bureau
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (Official seal imprinted)
Organization for Registration Control of Radiation Exposure Doses for Decontamination and Related Works
Regarding the above subject matter, the Bureau is now pursuing efforts toward the prevention
radiation hazards of workers by means of the Ordinance on Prevention of Ionizing Radiation Hazards at
Decontaminate Soil and Wastes Contaminated by Radioactive Materials Resulting from the Great East Japan
and Related Works (Ionizing Radiation Ordinance for Decontamination) as well as the Ordinance on
Ionizing Radiation Hazards (Ionizing Radiation Ordinance).
At present, as private efforts to ensure more reliable compliance with laws, for the purpose of establishing a systematic control organization of the radiation exposure doses, etc. of workers engaged in decontamination and related works etc., studies have been carried out in the Committee on the Organization for Registration Control of Radiation Exposure Doses for Decontamination and Related Works (refer to Attachment 1), in which the primary contractors concerned have participated. Today, as mentioned in Attachment 2, the Committee published its Interim Report, and this system has been launched on a temporary basis.
The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare considers that this system is useful for the secure and smooth management of radiation exposure dose, as is provided in the Ionizing Radiation Ordinance for Decontamination and the Ionizing Radiation Ordinance, and by means of immediate revision etc. of the Guidelines on Prevention of Radiation Hazards for Workers Engaged in Decontamination Works (Labour Standards Bureau Notification No. 1222-6, 22 December 2011) etc. in the future, the Bureau will urge the employers engaged in decontamination works etc. to participate in this system.
Therefore, each Prefectural Labor Standards Bureau is being asked to provide notification, by suitable means, on the contents of this system to the responsible departments of the local governments (including those state organizations which have been entrusted with the obligation of expenditure by the Ministry of Environment; the same shall apply hereinafter) and employers’ groups etc. in its own jurisdiction, in consideration of the following notices.
Notification of this matter has also been given to the Ministry of the Environment by means of Attachment 3, to the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism as well as the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries by means of Attachment 4, and to the employers’ groups concerned by means of Attachment 5.
Matters to note regarding the implementation of the system
(1) For the time being, the system is meant to target those employers that are engaged in the decontamination works which are under the direct control of the national government (excluding the works for handling designated contaminated soil and wastes) and the disposal works of accident-derived waste etc. (2) The employers engaged in the works for handling designated contaminated soil and wastes for which the national government places an order as well as in the decontamination works for which the local government places an order should be encouraged to participate in this system in consideration of the following methods:
(a) Regarding the decontamination works in the special decontamination area, the employer shall participate in all activities provided in Sections 2 to 4 of Attachment 2-III; i.e. the delivery of the radiation passbook, documents on the registration of radiation dose/inquiry of past records, and the radiation exposure dose record, etc. (b) Regarding the decontamination works in other than the special decontamination area, the employer shall only participate in the delivery of the radiation exposure dose record, etc. after leaving work, as is provided in Attachment 2-III, Section 4.
Ordering business and financial measures related to the system
(1) Regarding the decontamination works under the direct control of the national government (excluding the works for handling designated contaminated soil and wastes), the Ministry of the Environment shall give due consideration as required. (2) Regarding the financial measures which are related to the system and are meant for the decontamination works carried out by the local governments concerned (excluding the works for handling designated contaminated soil and wastes), the Ministry of the Environment shall give due consideration as required.
- Prime Minister of Japan and His Cabinet
- Ministry of the Environment
└BOOKLET to Provide Basic Information
Regarding Health Effects of Radiation
- Reconstruction Agency
- Agency for Natural Resources and Energy
- Nuclear Regulation Authority