COVID-19 vaccination certificate for overseas travel
Vaccination certificate of COVID-19 is issued as official proof of COVID-19 vaccination upon receipt of applications from those who are vaccinated at each municipality (including the special wards of Tokyo) under the Japanese Vaccination Law.
The vaccination certificate is issued and available in paper format for the time being. Introduction of the digital vaccination certificate is planned by the end of this year, with digital 2-D barcode issued in accordance with international formats such as ICAO VDS-NC and SMART Health Cards.
- Taking COVID-19 vaccine is left to the discretion of individuals. Issue of the vaccination certificates itself does not influence each individual’s choice to be vaccinated.
- Not possessing the vaccination certificate does not restrict international travel.
- Possessing the vaccination certificate does not guarantee quarantine-free travels nor relaxed restrictions around the world. The latest information on countries and regions which allow the use of the vaccination certificate is updated at the following website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (Japanese version only).
- Since October 1st, 2021, the vaccination certificate as well as vaccination seal and record issued by municipals and clinics have been accepted to receive preferential treatment of new quarantine measures for vaccinated person upon arrival in Japan. For more information about quarantine measures upon arrival in Japan, please refer to the webpage of "Border Control Measures".
Application and Issuance
- （１）Those who are vaccinated against COVID-19 under the Japanese Vaccination Law.
※e.g. Vaccinations for priority group such as medical personnel; vaccinations at workplaces; regular vaccinations (vaccinations using vaccination voucher issued by municipalities).
- （２）Those who need the vaccination certificates when travelling overseas or upon arrival in Japan.
【Non-eligible persons (example) 】
- Those who intend to use the certificate for purposes other than overseas-travel or entry into Japan.
- Those who received vaccinations outside Japan (not vaccinated under the Japanese Vaccination Law).
* Regarding the vaccination certificates for those who temporarily returned to Japan and received vaccination under the program administered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, please contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
* Regarding the vaccination certificates for those who participated in a clinical trials of COVID-19 vaccines, please refer to this webpage of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
Where to apply
Necessary documents for application
(2) Valid passport for your travel *2
(3) "Pre-vaccination screening only" part of the vaccination voucher*3
(4) “Certificate of vaccination for COVID-19” or “Record of Vaccination for COVID-19” which you received after vaccination *4
※Note: Other documents may be required in some cases. For details, please check the website of your municipality.
- *1The application form are prepared by each municipality.
- *2The passport number on the vaccination certificate and the number on the passport which you will be using for your travel must be the same. If your passport number is changed after the vaccination certificate is issued, please apply for a new certificate with a new passport number. If your passport is in the process of application, please apply for the vaccination certificate after the new passport is issued. Foreign nationals may use passports and similar travel documents issued by foreign governments for the applications.
- *3If you do not have document (3), you need to present a document that includes your own “Individual Number” issued by the Government of Japan such as a copy of your residential registration document with your Individual Number. If you are unable to present a document which includes your Individual Number, you may use your personal identification document which includes your address where you resided at the timing of vaccination.
The "Pre-vaccination screening only" part refers to the following part.
- *4If you lose document (4), you may use a copy of “Pre-vaccination Screening Questionnaire for COVID-19 vaccine”.
- *5For the above necessary document (2), (3) and (4), copies are acceptable.
Information included in the Vaccination Certificate
For more information about the procedures of issuing the vaccination certificates, please contact or check the information of the municipality where you apply. If you have general questions about the vaccination certificates, please contact below.