Comprehensive Survey of Living Conditions
Household Statistics Office to the Counsellor for Vital, Health and Social Statistics to the Director - General for Statistics and Information Policy Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
2.Objective and Frequency:
The purpose of this survey is to research basic subjects of living conditions such as health, medical care, welfare, pension, income and to obtain basic data which have been required to the planning and management for the health, labour and welfare administration.
This survey started in 1986, thereafter have been conducted Large-scale survey every three years and Small-scale survey in each interim year of Large-scale survey year.
This survey covers households and household members in nationwide.
As for the Large-scale survey 2013, the Household questionnaire and Health questionnaire covered whole households(approximately 300 thousands households) and household members(approximately 740 thousands persons) in Japan who were randomly sampled in 5,530 districts from the National Census in 2010. Long-term care questionnaire covered persons requiring care (approximately 7 thousands persons) in 2,500 districts from above districts. Income questionnaire and Savings questionnaire covered whole households (approximately 40 thousands households) and household members (approximately 90 thousands persons) in 2,000 districts from former 5,530 districts.
Regarding the Small-scale survey 2012, the Household questionnaire covered whole households (approximately 59 thousands households) and household members in Japan who were randomly sampled in 1,102 districts from the National Census in 2010. Income questionnaire covered whole households (approximately 9 thousands households) and household members in 500 districts from former 1,102 districts.
4. Survey Items:
(a) Household questionnaire: One-person household, amount expenditure in May, relationship with householder, gender, age, spouse existence, health insurance, pension, child rearing, working status
(b) Health questionnaire: Subjective symptoms, outpatients, difficulties in daily life, perceived health status, worry or stress, mental health, health checkup
(c) Long-term care questionnaire : persons requiring care by gender and age, care-level, main causes of requiring care, utilization of home care service, caring time by main caregivers, care by household member or service providers
(d) Income questionnaire: Kind of income, amount of income, income tax, self-assessed living conditions
(e) Savings questionnaire: Amount of saving, Amount of debt, etc.
(Note: Household questionnaire and Income questionnaire are conducted every year, however Health questionnaire, Long-term care questionnaire and Savings questionnaire are conducted in the large-scale survey year only.)
5.Route of Survey:
- Household questionnaire, Health questionnaire, Long-term care questionnaire;
- Income questionnaire, Savings questionnaire:
(1) Explanation of symbols
|“−”||means no data|
|“…”||means the data not available or applicable|
|“•”||means the statistical item is not applicable|
|“0.0”||means the ratio or data is marginal (less than 0.05)|
|“△”||means a decrease in number/ratio|
(2) The totals are not always equal to the sum of the parts, because the numbers are rounded off.
(3) The data for the year 1995 do not include data for Hyogo prefecture because the survey was not conducted in Hyogo Prefecture under the aftermath of the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake.
(4) The data for the year 2011 do not include data for Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures because the survey was not conducted in these three prefectures under the aftermath of the Great East Japan Earthquake.
(5) The data for the year 2012 do not include data for Fukushima Prefecture because the survey was not conducted in Fukushima Prefecture under the aftermath of the Great East Japan Earthquake.